- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¾-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan over low heat. Add the mustard seeds, cover the pan and wait for the seeds to pop. Add the onion and potato and fry until lightly browned.
Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander, and garam masala to the pan and cook for a couple of seconds. Add the tomato and stir until the spices are well mixed. Add the cauliflower florets and stir until thoroughly coated. Stir in the ginger, sugar, and ½ cup water, increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Uncover the pan and if the sauce is too runny, simmer for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Source: The Produce Bible by Leanne Kitchen