Makes one 9 inch pie
- 1 batch of your favorite single crust pie dough (store bought works just fine)
- 1 pound of peaches (about 3 medium)
- 1 pound of apricots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (or a dose of vanilla extract)
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- zest and juice from one lemon
- pinch of salt
For the Crumb Topping
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft but cool
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 and prepare the pie crust (either pre-made or roll out) and place in refrigerator.
- For the filling, in a large bowl, incorporate the vanilla bean seeds or extract and lemon zest into the sugar (your fingers work best!). Stir in the nutmeg, cinnamon, flour, and salt. Cut the peaches into 1/4 inch slices and add to the bowl. Gently tear the apricots in half, remove the pits, and add to bowl. Squeeze lemon over the top and toss to combine.
- Make the crumb by combining all dry goods in another bowl, adding the butter and combining with your fingers to make large crumbs.
- Remove the pie shell from the fridge and fill – don’t forget to scrape the bowl to get all the delicious juices!. Evenly spread the crumb over the top and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake from approximately 45-55 minutes until the crumbs are golden and the fruit juices are bubbling!