- 3lb chicken parts such as breasts and thighs (with skin and bone!) and drumsticks
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 celeriac (also known as celery root), approximatley 1 1/4lb peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 head of garlic, separated but unpeeled
- 1 1/4 cups (10oz) chicken broth
- 2 fresh thyme springs
- Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat oil in 12-inch heavy skillet and brown chicken over moderately high heat. Starting skin sides down, turn once, cooking for a total of 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and pour off all but 1 tbs of fat from the skillet.
- Add butter and heat until foam subsides, then saute celery root and garlic, stirring frequently until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and thyme and deglaze the skillet by boiling; stirring and scraping up any brown bits for about a minute. Return the chicken, skin sides up to the skillet along with juices from the plate. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes until chicken is just cooked through.