- 5 1/2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 cups sifted unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cooked pumpkin puree or canned solid pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured (light) molasses
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line sixteen 1/3-cup muffin cups with paper liners. Mix 2 1/2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, currants and brandy in small bowl.
- Sift flour, ground ginger, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Whisk pumpkin puree, buttermilk and vanilla in another bowl. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and egg in large bowl until foamy. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar; beat until light, about 2 minutes. Beat in molasses and oil. Beat in dry ingredients alternately with pumpkin mixture in 3 additions each. Stir in currant mixture.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Mix 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over muffins.
- Bake muffins until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool on rack.