- 2 cups okra, cut crosswise into stars
- 1 cup sweet corn, removed from the cob
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 2 cups smoked turkey thigh or smoked ham
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1/3 cup green pepper, small dice
- 1/3 cup celery, small dice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 dried marjoram (omit if you do not have)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400. Place a heavy bottomed 3-quart pot over medium heat. Add enough oil to the pot to coat the bottom and once hot add the onion, pepper, and celery. Season with a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft but not brown.
- Add the thyme, basil, marjoram, and garlic. Saute, being careful not to brown the garlic, until they become fragrant. Add the okra, turkey, and corn. Season the again with salt and freshly ground pepper. Taste and adjust any seasoning necessary.
- If the pan seems dry add a little more oil. Then add the rice and stir it around to coat the grains with the oil. Add the broth.
- Turn off the heat, cover the pot with a lid and slide the whole thing into the oven. Immediately turn the heat down to 325F.
- Cook for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and taste to see if rice is done. If the rice is still crunchy return to oven covered for another 10 minutes.
- If the rice is tender, serve.