Serves 4 as a side salad
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 small firm, ripe pears
- 2 cups snow pea sprouts
- 2 1/2 cups bean sprouts, tails trimmed
- 1 handful chives, snipped into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup snow peas, cut into matchsticks
- 1 celery stalk, cut into matchsticks
- 1 small handful cilantro sprigs
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Put all the sesame dressing ingredients in a small screwtop jar and shake well to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
Peel and core the pears, then slice them into thin strips. Put the pear strips in a bowl and cover with water to prevent discoloration.
Drain the pears and put in a large serving bowl with the snow pea sprouts, bean sprouts, chives, snow peas, celery, and cilantro. Pour the dressing over, toss lightly, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Source: The Produce Bible by Leanne Kitchen