- Russet potatoes – as many as you need
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chop the potatoes as you prefer. A large dice is standard, but small potatoes make for nice circular pieces too. No need to peel.
- Put all the potatoes in a pot of water with some salt and bring to a boil. Boil for about 5 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to soften on the outside. Do not soften all the way through.
- Drain the water from the potatoes. At this point, you need to shake the potatoes together to rough up the outer surface area. A colander could work for smaller quantities, but it’s easiest to put a lid on your pot and shake it violently (yet carefully — those are hot potatoes!).
- Lay out the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet, along with some olive oil, smashed garlic, rosemary sprigs, and salt and pepper. Place them into an oven heated to 350 degrees.
- Roast for at least 40 minutes, checking for browness and crispiness. Check periodically to prevent sticking to the bottom of the baking sheet.
- Prior to serving, salt the potatoes one final time.