- 1 pound 10 ounces plums (about 10)
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- confectioners’ sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8-cup baking dish. Cut the plums into quarters, discarding the pits.
- Put the plums in a saucepan with ¼ cup of the sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the fruit softens slightly. Spread the plum mixture into the prepared dish.
- Sift the flours into a bowl, add the remaining sugar and stir to combine. Rub in the butter, using your fingertips, until the mixture is fine and crumbly. In a separate bowl, combine the egg and milk and whisk until smooth. Stir into the flour mixture until a soft dough forms.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls of the mixture on top of the plums, until the plums are covered or all the mixture has been used. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and cooked through. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Source: The Produce Bible by Leanne Kitchen