- 1 acorn squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 golden beets, cut into 1 in ch pieces
- 3 red beets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup red rice (cargo, red Thai Jasmine, or whatever you have on hand)
- white vinegar (a few tablespoons to 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- soy sauce
- To prepare the rice: Rinse the rice and transfer to a 2-quart (or similar size) sauce pan. Add water to cover rice. I always use the finger-joint method and dip my middle finger into the water until it touches the top of the rice in the pan. The water level should reach the first joint of your middle finger. Cover, bring to a boil, then simmer until cooked, about 30 minutes.
- To roast the veggies: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Toss the veggies in olive oil, salt and pepper on a baking sheet. Arrange in a single layer and bake for about 40-45 minutes until the vegetables are tender. You might want to toss the veggies once or twice while roasting them. Five minutes before you take the veggies out of the oven, sprinkle the fresh crushed garlic over the top. Roast for a few more minutes to allow the garlic to cook before taking out of the oven.
- To prepare the dressing: Combine the vinegar, garlic, salt and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- Place one serving of rice and veggies on a plate. Drizzle a teaspoon or two of the vinegar/garlic condiment and garnish with chopped parsley and chives. Serve warm.