More often than not, I hoard my cherries to brighten up the winter months. This recipe works for frozen and fresh cherries alike.
- 1 stick softened butter
- 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (makes topping crispier)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (can mix white and brown if you prefer)
- sprinkle cinamon
- salt (optional)
- 1 heaping quart pitted tart cherries
- 1/2 cup flour – enough to dust the cherries thoroughly
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white sugar
Mix topping. Taste and adjust as needed – no crumble top comes out the same! Mix filling. Pour filling into an oven-proof baker. Distribute topping evenly over cherries. Bake at 375 until golden brown and bubbling.