- 2 pounds winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (about 1 ounce) slivered almonds
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins, plumped in warm water and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the squash in an ovenproof dish and bake until tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the almonds and fry until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the nuts to paper towels to drain.
- Add the onions to the oil in the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the sugar and cinnamon, decrease the heat to medium, and continue cooking until the onions turn brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Add the raisins and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until heated through. Transfer the squash to a warm serving platter. Spread the onion mixture evenly over the squash, sprinkle with the fried almonds, and serve.